Eberhardt Student Investment Fund
|Company Name (Ticker): Sumitomo (SMFG)||Country: Japan|
|Sector/Industry: Financials||Stock Exchange (NASDAQ and NYSE ONLY):|
|Your group members:||Date:|
Step 1: Search for Country and Industry Information
· CIA World Factbook: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
· World Bank Open Data: https://data.worldbank.org/
· Country credit rating: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/country-list/rating
· World Bank Doing Business Survey database http://www.doingbusiness.org/data
· Country governance and corruption: http://www.transparency.org/
· World Investment Report: http://unctad.org/en/pages/PublicationWebflyer.aspx?publicationid=1782
· Due date to decide the country and industry: October 13, 2017 (Friday)
Step 2: Screen for ADRs
· Based on your country and industry/sector research above, screen the ADRs in the country and industry/sector
· Website: https://www.adr.com/Investors/Markets
· Due date to decide your ADR company: November 17, 2017 (Friday)
Step 3: Search for company filings and financials
· Search for ADR company’s annual reports (in English) and financial data
· EDGAR website: https://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearch.html
· Yahoo.finance website: https://finance.yahoo.com/
· Bloomberg terminal (USD library): search for the company in Bloomberg equity function
Step 4. Document your data and analyses in the following template, write up your research report
· Final presentation: December 11 – 15, 2017
· Final research report due date: December 15, 2017
(Brief description of the company’s products and/or services)
Explain why you choose to invest in this country or region. Try to collect data from various sources to address the following issues:
· GDP growth in the last five years
· Political risk
· Exchange rate policy and risk
· Major exports and foreign investment in the country
· Comparative advantage of certain industry/sector of the country
· Economic outlook of the country (or region)
· Any other relevant evidences to support your selection of the country
Industry Overview and Competitive Positioning
Briefly explain why you choose to invest in this industry and what is the competitive position of this company within the industry.
· Industry economic growth and outlook
· Industry export and foreign investments
· Major competitors (domestic and international)
· Entry barriers, key technology and resources, government policies of the industry
· Relative power to the supplier and customer industries
· Any other relevant evidences to support your selection of the industry
· Sales performance of current services or products
· Strategic focuses and future directions
· Market outlook ad new service/product developments
· Competitive advantage of the company in the global economy
· Key suppliers and customers
· Recent financial performance and performance drivers
Industry Competitive Analysis
Discuss major competitors – how are they similar; how are they different.
(Example from Entergy)
Source: Yahoo.finance or Bloomberg
Annual Performance (Fiscal year end: )
Data Source: Yahoo.finance or Bloomberg
Discuss recent performance (strength and weakness) and future outlook
Recent Stock Performance
Discussion of performance over the past year relative to S&P, and the country or sector ETF performance.
Recent News and Events
Discuss the most important and recent news and events of the industry and the company that would affect the investment value of the company’s stock.
· General Electric to Sell Commercial Lending Business in Japan
· Dec. 15, 2015 HONG KONG – General Electric agreed to sell its commercial lending business in Japan to Sumitomo Mitsui Finance and Leasing, one of Japan’s largest leasing companies, for 575 billion yen, or about $4.8 billion.
· Johnson & Johnson, Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, and Diebold Nixdorf Join Work-Bench as Enterprise-In-Residence Partners
· Nov. 28, 2017 NEW YORK – Work-Bench, an enterprise technology venture fund in New York City, is excited to announce their three newest Enterprise-In-Residence Partners: Johnson & Johnson, a global pharmaceuticals company, Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group (SMFG), Japan’s leading financial services company, and Diebold Nixdorf, a global financial and retail self-service, software and services corporation.
· Introduction of new stock compensation
List environmental, social, or governance controversies that arise in the news bellow.
· Japanese Banks Failing to Respond to Climate Change Risks, New Reports Finds
· June 22, 2017 TOKYO — A report released today by four NGOs – Rainforest Action Network, BankTrack, Sierra Club and Oil Change International – revealed that the world’s biggest banks, including Japan’s three megabanks, are failing to respond to climate risks through their continued financing of extreme fossil fuels.
· February 17, 2017 BOSTON – A coalition of over 130 investors representing over $685 Billion in assets under management called on banks financing the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) to address or support the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s request to reroute the pipeline and avoid their treaty territory. Lead investor Boston Common Asset Management is joined by Storebrand Asset Management and Calvert Research and Management, with support from First Peoples Worldwide—along with CalPERS and the Comptroller of the City of New York. In a statement today, the investors encourage the banks to take urgent action and arrive at a peaceful solution that is acceptable to all parties.
· Japanese Banks ill-Equipped to Reform Banking Practices in Line with the Paris Agreement
· Oct. 12, 2017 TOKYO – Japan has revealed how Japan’s seven biggest banks are inadequately prepared to meet the rising demand for environmentally responsible banking practices. Six of seven banks responded with dissatisfying answers to the My Bank My Future petition which urged banks to stop funding fossil fuels and nuclear power in line with the Paris Agreement.
· Banks and Responsible Finance
· Sustainalytics – Even those companies showing comprehensive programmes continue to be the target of severe criticism. BNP Paribas, Credit Agricole, HSBC, Royal Bank of Canada, SocGen, Standard Chartered and Sumitomo Mitsui Financial are banks that, despite having rolled out best-in-class lending standards, have been repeatedly cited by civil society groups for their financial transactions with the coal industry and the weapons producing sector.
Has the company been involved in litigation that might impact its share price? See the Annual Report’s litigation section.
· SMFG is party to routine litigation incidental to the business, none of which is currently expected to have a material adverse effect on the financial condition or results of operations. However, there can be no assurance that an adverse decision in one or more of these lawsuits will not have a material adverse effect.
· The SMFG Group is engaged in various legal proceedings in Japan and a number of overseas jurisdictions, involving claims by and against it, which arise in the normal course of business. The SMFG Group does not expect that the outcome of these proceedings will have a significant adverse effect on the consolidated financial statements of the SMFG Group. The SMFG Group has recorded adequate provisions with respect to litigation arising out of normal business operations. The SMFG Group has not disclosed any contingent liability associated with these legal actions because it cannot reliably be estimated.
· A full Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) model is NOT required for this report.
· A target price evaluation is NOT required for this report
You could use the simplest evaluation methods, such as the comparable valuation multiples (P/E, P/B). If the company pays stable dividends, you could also use the dividend discount method. More sophisticated methods, such as the free cash flow to firm (FCFF) or free cash flow to equity (FCFE) methods can be also used (although not required) in this analysis.
· Comparable valuation multiples (P/E, P/B). A valuation model will help investors to determine if is SMFG’s stock is a good buy. The valuation multiple is calculated by dividing stock price (P) by earnings per share (EPS). A company with a high P/E ratio is trading at a higher price per dollar of earnings than the industry and is overvalued. And a company with a low P/E ratio is trading at a lower price per dollar of EPS and is considered undervalued.
· SMFG’s stock price is 8.17 with an Earnings Per Share of 0.892. This gives us a PE ratio of 9.15.
· The Price-to-Book ratio is used to compare the stock market’s value to its book value. It is calculated by dividing the current closing price of the stock by the latest quarter’s book value per share where the book value per share is equals the difference between total assets and total liabilities divided by the total number of shares. SMFG’s current closing price of their is stock is $8.16 or. The total assets as of 2017, for the fiscal year ended at March 31st is $1,715,436,000 while total liabilities is $1,622,262,000. Capital stock is $20,981,000. This would give us a book value per share of $4.44Price-to-Book ratio is roughly ¥181.71 or $1.61.
Highlight the investment risk (if any) in the foreign country, industry and in the company’s ADR stock.
Sector Outlook and Holding Update Page
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason may is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
Our essay writers are graduates with diplomas, bachelor's, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college diploma. When assigning your order, we match the paper subject with the area of specialization of the writer.
- Plagiarism free papers
- Timely delivery
- Any deadline
- Skilled, Experienced Native English Writers
- Subject-relevant academic writer
- Adherence to paper instructions
- Ability to tackle bulk assignments
- Reasonable prices
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Get superb grades consistently
1. Place an order
You fill all the paper instructions in the order form. Make sure you include all the helpful materials so that our academic writers can deliver the perfect paper. It will also help to eliminate unnecessary revisions.
2. Pay for the order
Proceed to pay for the paper so that it can be assigned to one of our expert academic writers. The paper subject is matched with the writer’s area of specialization.
3. Track the progress
You communicate with the writer and know about the progress of the paper. The client can ask the writer for drafts of the paper. The client can upload extra material and include additional instructions from the lecturer. Receive a paper.
4. Download the paper
The paper is sent to your email and uploaded to your personal account. You also get a plagiarism report attached to your paper.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH SMART HOMEWORK HELP TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT